Having downloaded Ubuntu 11.04 last night and installed my laptop from scratch with it to have a look at the changes; I thought I would revisit my earlier post of how to get Ubuntu to play commercial DVDs and update it for the latest version of the operating system.
Again, I am going to install VLC for my video player, but you could stick with the default Totem player if you like; just skip step 3 if you do want to install VLC.
- Open a terminal
- Type “sudo -s” and enter your password when prompted
- Type “apt-get install vlc mozilla-plugin-vlc videolan-doc” and accept the new packages to be downloaded
- Type “apt-get install gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse”, when prompted type y to install the packages
- Now we need to install the libdvdcsspackage to allow you to play encrypted DVDs. This can not be distributed by Ubuntu due to legal reasons but you can use the following script to install it manually.
- In your terminal type the following “/usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh”
- You will now be able to play DVD videos in either Totem or VLC Video players.